Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's in a Name?

What's in a name? A lot sometimes, it seems.
I changed my name to Of The Above None before the last Federal election so that I would appear on the ballot paper as NONE, Of The Above.
There were two very good reasons for doing so. Firstly, it gained me a lot of free publicity and as the only Independent candidate in the field I had no party to fund my campaign. Most of my friends, whilst supportive, were rusted-on Greens so most of the funding had to come from my own pocket.
Secondly- and this was the original motivation and more important reason- I wanted to encourage voters to think about the idea that there is more wisdom than that which emanates from the parties. There was, and still is, a message in my silliness.
So it was with this background that while listening to Malcolm Turnbull give this week's excuse for not supporting Climate Change legislation, I suddenly thought that he should follow my lead and change his name also.
Descriptive names from Native American tribes, or those that sound like they could be, were popular at one stage.
"TalkAlotDoNothing" would just about sum Malcolm up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know... Turnbull seems pretty apposite! (and then there's Krudd).