Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Australia Day takes a giant step forward by going back one

I wrote in a previous email edition of The Tank that Australia Day is a wonderful concept but unfortunately someone chose the wrong day; being as it falls on the anniversary of the white invasion of this country.

Whenever I say this to anyone the immediate response is, “OK, what day should it be?”

No day has ever seemed obvious to me so my standard reply has always been, “Any other day; there are 364 other perfectly good days to choose from”.

However, friends and I recently workshopped the idea and came up with the ALL NEW Australia Day. It was obvious really.

Australia Day may now be celebrated on January 25, it being the anniversary of the last day that Aboriginal Australians were truly free.

If you happen to be reading this on Jan 25, “Happy Australia Day”

No comments: